Monday, April 26, 2010

In my heart, I know it's worth it.

I am really struggling with injustice today...It is one of those days where I feel like the darkness in the world is overpowering the light. Are all the things I am doing even making a difference? Has all of the time, effort, heartbreak, and tears been worth it? I want to see real change in this world. I want the work SSGF does to have a tangible impact. And I just don't know if that is happening yet, or if it will happen at all. Like I said, I am a bit discouraged today.

So I just wanted to share a few quotes I have come across to re-inspire myself and hopefully give you a boost as well. If you have any others you want to share, I would love to hear them.
  
"I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."--Elie Wiesel
   
"Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."--Holocaust Memorial in D.C.
   
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."--Martin Luther King Jr.

"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again."--Maya Angelou

"Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, these ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."--Robert F. Kennedy

"There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest."--Elie Wiesel

"I strongly believe that love is the answer and that it can mend even the deepest unseen wounds. Love can heal, love can console, love can strengthen, and yes, love can make change."--Somaly Mam

   
Good News About Injustice, Updated 10th Anniversary Edition: A Witness of Courage in a Hurting World   Terrify No More: Young Girls Held Captive and the Daring Undercover Operation to Win Their Freedom

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these. I especially like the ones from Elie Wiesel.

    ReplyDelete